Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Foolish Man

What made the foolish man foolish? Was he foolish because he knew building on the sand would make his home unstable and eventually washes away but decided to build on the sand anyways because it was easier and cheaper? Or was he foolish because he didn’t know? Did he not do his research and find out the best way and place to build a home? Any way you look at it he is foolish.

This is what knowledge can do to you. Either you will be the foolish man or become the wise man. The past 3 years I have been studying about alternative health and nutrition. I have read many books and I have learned much. I have acquired knowledge. No, I don’t believe everything I read or hear. But when something rings true in my heart, I have pangs of anxiety that come along with my new found knowledge. What I choose to do with that new knowledge will make me the foolish man or the wise man.

Sometimes I wish I hadn’t learned something because I don’t want to change my life or alter some life long habit. But now that I have learned better, if I don’t change I am the foolish man. If I hadn’t researched and acquired the new knowledge then I am also the foolish man.

Changing life long nutritional habits can be very difficult. When I hear something that makes me question my eating habits, I decide to research. The more I research and learn the more likely I am going to want to change my old ways. True knowledge can be a powerful motivator. It can help you do things that you never thought was possible. When you get correct information most likely you will decide to be the wise man and change your life.

The other powerful motivator is my family. When I learn something, I want to share it with them. I want them to live long and healthy lives. But at that end, I cannot tell them to change their lives unless I am willing to do it myself. The following story illustrates my point perfectly.

A mother took her child to Ghandi, to help her child stop eating refined sugar. Ghandi thought for a moment: “Bring your child back, tomorrow.” The puzzled mother did so, at which time Ghandi said to the child: “Stop eating candy.” The mother then asked: “Why didn’t you tell him that yesterday?” Ghandi replied: “Yesterday, I was eating candy myself.”

I hope I can be the wise man. I hope I can gain enough self respect, control and determination to be the wise man.

No comments: