Monday, June 1, 2009

Summer Day 1



Workout - Check

Yes, I did get out of bed. The workout was great. A little lonely since I don't have a partner but the birds were in full song this morning which made it just fine. I did 45 sec repetitions of 12 different exercises on the TRX. My heart rate average was 128 bpm. By the end my hamstrings and triceps were on fire. A good start. I am doing the 30 minute full body express workout. I think I will do this workout for a couple of weeks. The only down point was that my heart rate was only in my zone of 120bpm-140bpm for 10 minutes. I am trying to keep my heart rate in that zone for 25 min. so I will have to work on my transitions to keep my heart rate up. What did you do today?

Swimming Lessons - Check, Check , Flop

1st day of Summer break! Of course we started it off with a splash. Yes swimming lessons started today. Petunia and Peanut were back to pool with their fins on.

Farmer on the other hand really took me by surprise. He wanted nothing to do with the swimming lessons. He got in the pool right away but took a minute to evaluate what was going on and quickly changed his mind. I saw him start to rub his eyes and was soon adding tear drops to the pool. He spent the rest of his class wrapped in a towel sitting on the chair next to me. How could this be? My little fish has turned into a sand crab. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.?.


Science Experiment - Check - hopefully not a flop.

Mondays is our science experiment day. We are going to do some kind of science project every Monday. We started off making rock candy. Hopefully it works out. If not it is pretty anyways. Rock candy is made by boiling water and adding sugar then you tie a cotton string onto a pencil and put in the sugar water. We colored ours to make it pretty. This has to set for 3-10 days while crystals form on the string. What a great thing to make with sugar.



Sugar is not one of my favorite things in the world so it is great to use as a science project. We are trying really hard in our family to limit our consumption of white sugar. I just recently finished the book "Sweet Death" by Dr. Hugo Rodier. I learned a lot about sugar and how our bodies react to the white stuff. Not Good. In our society it is almost impossible to get away from it. You don't even have to buy candy. Candy is always given out freely at the store, bank, library, school, piano, church and from old people. Grandparents used to say, " Eat your vegetables." Now they say, "Do you want a sucker?" Our Grandparents have definitely gotten better at this since some of their grand kids don't eat candy.

Nellie's kids have not been eating candy for 1 1/2 years. Amazing. Her kids have been a great example to many of their friends and teachers. Our kids have decided to take the challenge. We have decided to give them a dollar every Sunday if they have not eaten any candy during the week. At the end of the month we double their money. Nellie has been doing this but doubles their money at the end of the year. Forced savings. Smart.

Petunia and Peanut have not been eating candy for over 1 month now. I am so proud of them. The girls have given away their candy or have asked for stickers or pencils instead. Petunia got a Rubik's cube from her piano teacher instead of candy. I think she came out ahead. This was a hard month as it was the end of school and there were many parties with lots of candy. One of Petunia's friends came over today and gave her two flower clips for her hair because he gave everyone in their class candy on the last day but Petunia.

We are not depriving our kids. This is a decision they have made. They can choose to have candy whenever they wish. What am I going to choose to give up for a dollar? hmmm. What are you going to choose?

1 comment:

Teri Hall said...

I got up at my regular 4:15 - 4:30 time. I normally have a glass of water (room temp) to start the day. I used my concept2 rower for 35 minutes with the resistance at its lowest (1). I did this because this is the first time I rowed since my last biopsy. I have such a long ways to go to get back to where I was... what a drag! After work I went to the gym and did a couple of miles on the elliptical, did the P90X Ab Ripper X with my roommate Robbie and some other skinny guy that was watching us. After that I did very light hand weights working on my biceps, triceps and back. I then finished off the workout on a Power Plate. It vibrates and promotes balance and core strength. I used a balance board and then did some squats using a 15 lb pole.
Over all it was a sweaty but lovely workout.